Instructor: Jamie Wiggins
Learn how “broken” things can be beautiful! In this multi-media camp, you’ll explore texture, color, transparency, and your surroundings (indoors and outside) for overlooked and underappreciated materials. With careful attention & composition, you’ll bring new life to your materials as you learn to create 2D and 3D works of art from paper, pictures, found objects, and more. Projects include photo mosaic, food mosaic, flower pot mosaic, a mosaic stepping stone & more!
Each camper will receive a materials kit which includes: paper, glue, food coloring, a terracotta pot, quikrete, tiles, gloves, a disposable baking tray, gloves, and more. Helpful materials which can be scavenged from your home and yard will include copies of family photos, rocks, sticks, glitter, glue, and general art supplies.
All Summer Camps Include:
- Five days of immersion into art-making, creative self-expression, and self-directed imaginative play. Online sessions are just the launching pad. Campers use their imaginations as their guide as they become engrossed in creativity throughout each day.
- Indoor/outdoor exploration and observation-based activities to strengthen campers’ perceptions of self, others, and their surroundings.
- Inspired creative challenges to hone campers’ creative problem solving and ingenuity with materials.
- A thoughtful bundle of art supplies provide a material foundation for campers’ creative endeavors (kits will be sanitized for safety and made available for pick up the weekend prior to camp).
- Dynamic remote interactions each day with artist-instructors, peers, and teen mentors to catalyze and reinforce each camper’s dive into their own curiosity.
- Each week will end with a joyful sharing of campers’ projects via Google Meets, an edited video, or possibly in some cases, a socially distanced sharing at the Arts Center.
Camp content will be hosted on Google Classroom, and will include face-to-face interactions & physical activities for 1 hour each day from 9:30-10:30 am, as well as prerecorded instructional videos so campers can engage and return to project instructions at their own pace.