Join our Team!
- 9 November 2023
- Posted By Ellen Muse-Lindeman
After School Youth Development Specialists (part-time)
Kennedy Heights Arts Center is seeking dynamic, responsible and caring individuals to assist in the implementation of an after-school program at the Academy of World Languages, a Cincinnati Public School in Evanston. The Youth Development Specialist will work with the Afterschool Enrichment Manager and professional teaching artists to facilitate a range of arts, literacy, and social-emotional learning activities for K-6th grade students.
Youth Development Specialists will work directly with an assigned group of students to provide a safe, enriching, well-supervised environment while acting as a positive adult role model and mentor. Candidates must have a genuine interest in the growth and development of youth, giving our students the stability and nurturing atmosphere they need to succeed.
This is a part-time, hourly position funded by a grant from the Ohio Department of Education (ODE). The Youth Development Specialist must be available to work Monday through Friday, 2:15pm-5:30pm throughout the school year, and may be required to work some evenings or weekends for special events.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
● Assist with the implementation of fun and engaging developmentally appropriate activities in the areas of visual and performing arts, reading and writing, social skills and character development.
● Lead recreational games and group team-building activities designed to promote social and leadership skills through play.
● Serve as a positive role model and mentor to After School Program students.
● Supervise large and small group activities, recognizing potential issues and applying established procedures and problem solving methods as needed.
● Provide individual guidance and establish relationships with youth that are conducive to their growth and development.
● Stimulate interest in the program through personal engagement, positive reinforcement practices, and after school club member recognition.
● Track student attendance daily and maintain program records, as directed.
● Ensure program areas are clean, orderly and safe each day.
● Keep ongoing inventory of supplies and materials needed to conduct effective programming.
● Participate in professional development training as required by the Kennedy Heights Arts Center and Cincinnati Public Schools.
● Perform other job-related duties as assigned.
● High school diploma or GED required. College degree or related training preferred.
● Demonstrated success working with youth in an educational or community-based setting
● Knowledge of developmental needs of school age children.
● Ability to manage and supervise large and small groups.
● Ability to perform job responsibilities with a high degree of initiative and independent judgment.
● Sensitivity in relating to students of varying backgrounds and demonstrating the ability to work with diverse groups of youth possessing various strengths, aptitudes and abilities.
Activities are varied and require active engagement during educational and recreational programming, which may include extended periods of walking and standing.
● Ability to speak and hear
● Close and distance vision
● Frequent standing, walking and moving, with some sitting
● Ability to lift/ carry up to 25 lbs.
● Program dates: Jan 2, 2024 through May 17, 2024 (excluding holidays)
● Hours: Monday to Friday 2:15pm-5:30pm.
● Some evenings or weekends may be required for special events.
Compensation: $17-20 per hour, based on experience, via payroll
To apply: Please send a resume and cover letter to Carolyn Youngquist via email at carolyn(at)kennedyarts.org